Blog Talk: Integrated Dermatology
Posts for: June, 2017
Managing oily skin is not always easy. Oily skin can appear shiny and greasy throughout the day and is often more susceptible to developing acne. Fortunately, there are various steps you can incorporate into your daily skin care routine to help minimize oiliness. Additionally, a dermatologist can recommend and prescribe treatments for managing oily skin. At Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach, Dr. Barry Kuttner and Dr. Kathleen Herne are your West Palm Beach, FL, dermatologists.
Tips for Controlling Oil
Establishing a daily skin care routine that works for your skin and consistently sticking to it can help you better manage your oily skin. There are several steps you can incorporate into your skin care routine to keep oil under control. Once you discover the combination of skin care steps that best works for your skin, stick to your routine consistently. Some of the steps you might incorporate into your skin care routine include:
- Washing with a gentle oil-free cleanser both morning and night
- Use an oil-free moisturizer to help balance the skin
- If you choose to use a toner, use it only on oily areas, such as the t-zone
- Use a clay mask or other oil-controlling mask one to two times per week
- Use blotting paper as needed during the day to absorb excess oil and reduce shininess
- Medicated pads can be helpful for individuals with acne-prone oily skin
- If using sunscreen on the face, choose one that is oil-free
- For individual who wear makeup, choose products that are oil-free or noncomedogenic
In addition to maintaining a consistent daily skin care routine, various treatments for oily skin are also available through your West Palm Beach dermatologist. Chemical peels and laser treatments can help renew the skin and potentially slow down oil production. Your dermatologist might also prescribe specific topical skin care products for reducing oiliness. If your oily skin is also plagued with acne, your dermatologist might prescribe an oral medication to treat the acne.
Your West Palm Beach, FL, dermatologist can help you develop the right skin care routine to manage your oily skin. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Kuttner or Dr. Herne, contact Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach. Call (561) 964-6664 for the West Palm Beach office location on Forest Hill Blvd. or (561) 688-2550 for the North Century Blvd. office.