Blog Talk: Integrated Dermatology
Posts for: September, 2017
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, doctors treat over 5.4 million cases of skin cancer a year. This staggering number is scary at first glance. Luckily, catching skin cancer early and Moh's surgery significantly raise the cure rate in these cases. Moh’s surgery is a state-of-the-art skin cancer treatment performed by your dermatologist. Find out more about Moh’s surgery and identifying skin cancer in its earliest stages with Dr. Barry Kuttner and Dr. Kathleen Herne at Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach with two West Palm Beach, FL locations.
Identifying Skin Cancer
Early diagnosis helps increase the cure rate for skin cancer. Learning the signs and symptoms of skin cancer can save your life. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using the ABCDE method:
- Asymmetry: A cancerous mole will appear asymmetrical in shape. A normal mole is round or ovular in shape with smooth edges.
- Border: The border of a cancerous mole appears jagged or uneven.
- Color: A normal mole ranges in color from pink to brown and has only one color within its borders. Cancerous moles may be very dark in color and/or have more than one color within its borders.
- Diameter: Normal moles are under about 6mm in diameter, or smaller than the size of a pencil eraser.
- Evolving: Cancerous moles will evolve, usually over a short period of time. Color, shape, or size may change.
Moh's Surgery in West Palm Beach, FL
Moh’s surgery is a skin cancer treatment which ensures that as much of the healthy skin cells as possible remain intact while removing the cancerous cells. Doctors remove one super-thin layer of skin at a time, then examine it under a microscope. This method ensures that the skin surrounding the cancerous area remains healthy and intact during and after the procedure. Moh’s surgery is an outpatient procedure performed in just a few hours.
For more information on Moh’s surgery, please contact Dr. Barry Kuttner and Dr. Kathleen Herne at Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach at their West Palm Beach, FL, locations on Forest Hill Blvd. or North Century Blvd. Call (561) 964-6664 to schedule your appointment at the Forest Hill location or (561) 688-2550 to schedule your appointment at the North Century location today!