No one wants to hear the words, "You have cancer." However, when it comes to today's most common malignancy—skin cancer—the doctors here at Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach are here to help, every step of the way. Your board-certified dermatologists, Dr. Barry Kuttner and Kristen Hafner, approach each cancer individually, offering treatments that optimize positive outcomes.
What is skin cancer?
These malignancies appear mostly on areas of the skin exposed to the sun. Face, shoulders, neck, ears, and back fall prey to these common types of skin cancer:
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Malignant melanoma, the least common but most deadly skin cancer, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation
Favorably, all skin cancers feature a high rate of cure when detected early in their development and are treated by a skilled dermatologist. At Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach, our dermatologists advocate at-home skin examinations and yearly in-office inspections to stay ahead of skin cancer. Also, the doctors teach patients ways to recognize suspicious skin changes and to prevent cancer before it starts.
Skin cancer treatment
After a biopsy positive for skin cancer, the dermatologist creates a care plan to remove the lesion(s) and prevent re-growth and spread. At Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach, individualized treatment is key. It may include one or more kinds of intervention: in other words, the doctors take an integrative approach to cure, recovery, and prevention.
Cancer treatments may include:
- Crysorugery, or freezing of the lesion with liquid nitrogen
- Surgical excision with a scalpel
- MOHS micrographic surgery, an in-office procedure that removes the spot in layers for minimal tissue damage (Dr. Herne has advanced training in MOHS procedures)
- Radiation therapy
- Desiccation and curettage, application of an electrical current accompanied by tissue removal via scraping
- Immunotherapy, state of the art topical medication which boosts the body's natural defenses against cancer
- Chemotherapy drugs, particularly for cancers which have spread beyond the original site
Your healthiest skin
For the best diagnostic, prevention and treatment techniques for skin cancer and other dermatological conditions, consult the dermatologists at Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach. Call us for a routine skin exam or any medical or cosmetic skin concerns that you have. We have Saturday morning hours for your convenience. Call (561) 964-6664.