Blog Talk: Integrated Dermatology
Posts for tag: Excessive Sweating
How your dermatologists in West Palm Beach, FL, can help with your perspiration problem!
Sweating is a natural process that your body performs in order to cool itself down. However, regular excessive sweating can be an extremely uncomfortable experience. Hyperhidrosis is the clinical term for this condition, and you may have it if you periodically notice that one or two areas of your body are very sweaty, but the rest is completely dry. Common areas affected include your underarms, feet, palms of your hands, and your head.
Hyperhidrosis can be embarrassing, annoying, and inconvenient. Fortunately, there are effective treatments to deal with the condition. The dermatologists at Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach, in West Palm Beach, FL, offer a full range of dermatology services including hyperhidrosis treatment.
You can try a few simple tips to help you deal with hyperhidrosis. Remember to:
- Use antiperspirant daily, not just deodorant
- Wear loose clothing of natural fibers like cotton
- Change your socks at least twice each day
- Wear armpit shields to absorb perspiration
- Avoid spicy foods and alcohol, for they can increase sweating
There are several professional treatments for hyperhidrosis. Your dermatologist may suggest:
- Iontophoresis, which works by blocking the sweat glands; this treatment uses a weak electric current which is passed through a wet cloth or water. Treatment is painless and each treatment takes about 20 to 30 minutes to complete. 2 to 4 sessions are required each week, with maintenance sessions every 1 to 4 weeks. Iontophoresis take-home kits are also available.
- Botox injections, which reduce sweating in affected areas; Botox treatment only takes about 30 to 45 minutes to complete, with sweat reduction effects lasting for several months. You can also repeat Botox treatment if necessary.
If excessive sweating has become part of your life, it’s time to seek help from an expert. You don’t have to suffer from hyperhidrosis when help is just a phone call away. Call our West Palm Beach, FL, office today at (561) 964-6664!
It is normal to sweat from time to time, particularly when working out or being active. For many people, using antiperspirants is sufficient to keep them from sweating profusely. However, some individuals struggle with excessive sweating. Fortunately, there are treatments that can put an end to excessive sweating. Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach in West Palm Beach, FL treats excessive sweating. The experienced dermatologists there can evaluate your condition and recommend the right treatment option for you.
What is Excessive Sweating?
Excessive sweating, also called hyperhidrosis, occurs when an individual sweats more than is needed. Sweating is a normal function that helps keep the body cool. Excessive sweating happens when the body continues to sweat even when it does not need to cool down. Individuals who experience hyperhidrosis tend to have excessive sweat in the following areas: underarm, palms of the hands, feet and head. Other areas of the body often remain dry while these particular areas become drenched in sweat.
Treatments for Excessive Sweating
There are several options for treating excessive sweating. A dermatologist can determine which treatment method might be most effective for you. In West Palm Beach, excessive sweating can be treated through any of the following methods:
- Iontophoresis — This method is used to treat excessive sweating of the hands and feet and works by delivering a low voltage current through water while the hands and feet soak.
- Botulinum Toxin Injections (Botox) — This method is primarily used to stop excessive sweating of the underarms. Botox is injected in small amounts in the underarm area.
- Prescription Medications — Medicines are available that end excessive sweating by temporarily preventing the sweat glands from functioning.
- Surgery — There are surgical procedures for removing sweat glands and reducing excessive sweating.
Heavy sweating can be frustrating and even embarrassing. Fortunately, there is a way to end your excessive sweating and a dermatologist can help. For treatment of excessive sweating in the West Palm Beach area, contact Integrated Dermatology of West Palm Beach.
We probably all know someone who sweats too much - or perhaps you are that someone. And whether you're in a crowded room with other people, out on the basketball court shooting hoops, or on a date with a special someone, having wet spots and a foul odor will only help you clear the room and make opponents of your teammates!
While excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis, affects many people around the world today, there are a few things you can rely on to help you prevent the condition going forward. Take a look at a few of the pointers expert dermatologist Kristen Hafner offers for preventing hyperhidrosis below:
Use a prescription-strength antiperspirant deodorant.
You can easily find one at many leading grocery stores, and if they can't dry you up, you can check out some more powerful antiperspirant options from a trusted dermatologist.
Ask a dermatologist to administer electricity to the problem area(s).
Otherwise known as an iontophoresis procedure, this treatment option is both painless and without safety dangers. Typically reserved for when antiperspirants aren't getting the job done, iontophoresis procedures are a pretty safe bet for solving your sweatathons once and for all!
Practice relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation.
Having too much stress and anxiety can lead to hyperhidrosis, so learning how to temper all those negative pent-up emotions can lead to less sweat over the long haul.
Watch what you eat (and drink).
Oftentimes, the stuff we put into our bodies can cause excessive perspiration. Caffeinated sodas, spicy foods, and garlic are three of the biggest known culprits.
So if you're one of the millions of Americans today suffering from excessive sweating and are ready to put your perspiration-soaked days behind you, then it's time you put your faith in a trusted dermatologist like Kristen Hafner right here in Boynton Beach, FL! Ask to speak with her at (561) 964-6664 and find out more about you can stop sweating it today.